Thursday, July 03, 2008

3 Posts for the Price of 1!

First an announcement: Hey, did you all know that Caroline Fisher (Peak) started a blog? She has already produced two posts in which she blames me for things and talks about her new baby. So check it out if you know her.


Second a photograph: of the new staff members at the school in which I will be teaching (the older man in the photograph is the director, not a new staff member) (and the llama...I am not certain of what he is doing in the photo).











We are sitting in the home office where all the behind the scenes work is done for the International schools.


Third the Best Quotes of this week:


The things we are learning keep on coming up in our conversations:

Allison: Look at us. We just went to an All American Baseball game and now are eating American food at an All American restaurant.

Karen: Hey, it’s like what we have been learning about. You know, when the speaker talked about how we will go through an overseas grieving process and we will want to do things from our own country? We must be starting our grieving as we are eating all the things we are going to miss in the United States.

Everyone pauses in contemplation.

Elizabeth: (takes a sip of her chocolate malt and smiles) I like grieving.


All week long we heard that one of the speakers here would give a talk on "sexual purity" - always an enjoyable and non-awkward thing to listen to. Anyway, one of the speakers shared about how women are attracted to godly men. After the presentation, a guy approached a group of us girls saying, “Hey, any of you ladies wanna go to sonic? We can pray afterward.”


I would use the words "Southern" and "Hospitality" to describe the staff who serve us food here, though many aren't used to their kind. I overheard this short conversation as the staff left the kitchen and a group of young training participants were still sitting around.

Older person: Well, we’ll see all y’all young people later.

Younger person: We will see all of you old people later.



12 comments:

tsbjf said...

I want a chocolate malt! That sounds so good right now. That was hilarious--"we can pray afterward". They really cover all their bases at this place, huh. The picture didn't show up, I am looking forward to seeing the llama.

DP said...

Did anyone take Sonic-boy up on his offer?
Ten bucks he'll be married at the end of his two years.

Ben and Caroline Fisher said...

Eden what if I wanted my blog to be private now the word is out. I guess I will survive. :)

Unknown said...

Ok, tried to update the pic, let me know if it still isn't showing.

tsbjf said...

I see the llama! Although it is a little more dead that I was imagining.

Russ said...

As a possible candidate for sonic boy (most of us guys thought it was pretty hilarious, so I wouldn't doubt if someone else made that same joke, and I can't remember if Eden was around when I made it), I'm putting a reminder on my calendar that the sister of a girl I met at PFO owes me ten bucks next year.

And why yes, while in America, I do have little better to do than stalk people on facebook and read their PFO blog entries.

Unknown said...

No Russ, it wasn't you who made that comment in my presence - it was Darrell. What I should do is give both of you my little sister's phone number... she is pretty frugal and would probably marry one of you in order to save 10 dollars.

luaphacim said...

Frugality has its downside, I suppose. :-)

Ben and Caroline Fisher said...

Now saving ten dolars is not frugal but when you wash out trash bags to save a few bucks like my husband does . Now that is the definition of frugal. He prides himself on being frugal. Right now his tennis shoes have no rubber on the bottom just a soft sole. You ask why because the brand new pair I gave him he gave to some guy in Nicaragua said he did not need them .

Russ said...

How disappointing. I'd already thought about putting that 10 bucks in my budget for next summer. Oh, well.

This situation does make your sister sound more frugal than the guy from my fellowship who offered me his first-born daughter for helping them move twice, though.

DP said...

Economically-speaking, wouldn't a wife cost a guy more than $10?
How about we call the whole deal off? Russ may or may not get married in a year, and my I get to keep the $10.

Russ said...

I think that sounds acceptable. After all, shoes used to talk to me.