Sunday, March 22, 2009

Peruvian Culture Fact #3: Time

Ask an American why the copier is broken and they will say, "it's jammed."

Ask a Peruvian why the copier is broken and they will say, "Well I came up to the copier and it started making this noise, so I looked down and saw that these lights were blinking and it said paper jam and so I checked the paper drawers. Then I realized that we were out of paper so I went to go find some and couldn't but then someone came and helped me put it in..."

Americans value time, Peruvians value relationships.
To illustrate my point I have made a chart which applies this cultural concept to bible studies.

"God doesn't demand hectic church programs and frenetic schedules; he only wants his people to know him more intimately." - d.a. carson

5 comments:

Steve said...

You're at a perfect time for God to use you because you have time for people who don't worship time. Thanks

tsbjf said...

The cultures are a lot different! It's true though, here people are always running around to the next thing... do you think Americans are just more impatient?

Unknown said...

I would say that we value time more and so we show respect by saving each others time and feel others are not respecting us if they take our time.

tsbjf said...

Very well put.

Unknown said...

This post meshes with my recent one very well. I don't feel guilty though, just sad that I don't usually have more time to give.