Friday, August 08, 2008

Newsletter 1

8-07-08

Hello from Peru!

Today it was both rainy and sunny even though it never rains in Lima and is rarely sunny at this time of the year: fitting weather for my first day of teaching which was full of ups and downs.

I experienced classes of wide eyed kindergartners, over enthusiastic 7th graders, and down-to-earth 12th graders. Already I am beginning to know which students will flourish with whatever assignment they are given, which students will require extra grace, and which students are spiritually lost.

With all of this in mind however, I am so excited about this year. I am a new and unprepared teacher. However I have been learning that though I am the authority in my classroom, God is the one who is ultimately in charge of what happens in it. The unexplainable successes I experienced today are His fault.

So please continue to pray to the one who is in charge on my behalf.

Thank you!

Eden

PS: You know you just became a teacher when… you have a student request you as your friend on facebook. My roommates (also first year teachers) and I are going to start competing and seeing how many students we can get as fb friends. I will keep you informed.

attached photos:
1. me modeling the smocks my grade school students will wear and
2. a panoramic view of my brightly colored art room.

2 comments:

tsbjf said...

Did you get to design your classroom door? I love it! And those smocks are a good idea with the little ones, and I like that they have pockets at the bottom, very handy. Your room looks so fun! So bright and cheerful, and I bet you're the awesomest art teacher ever :) . It is so cool that God is using you in this way! And I'm cheering you on for gathering mucho fb amigos.

Jenny said...

Awe! You're so cute! Your classroom and door look really cool too!