Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nobody likes me everybody hates me

My dad has been posting our journal entries about our January jungle trip on his blog. Here is an excerpt I wrote about the strange food of the amazon:

One day, the director of the base which we were working on came back from the city bearing gifts. As our gifts rippled across the table surface he said, “How do you say ‘dessert’ in English?” He had brought us raw coconut palm grubs (called suri just like someone else). Indigenous children in Peru think of suri as a candy. We played with them for a bit.







Then Director Juan Carlos began encouraging me to try them. I wouldn’t, so he said he would show me how first. He first snaped off the head with his teeth– though you have to watch out for the pincers because they will snap back. Then you suck out the inside. After some persuasion from Juan Carlos and my dad's promise that he would get it on video, I agreed:







Later that night I fried up the rest of the grubs. They really steamed right up in the frying pan and popped up nice and huge. One even got so big that when it was punctured, squirted out a long thin stream of juices. They were easier to swallow down fried and reminded me a lot of shrimp. Now I can eat just about anything. Watch the exciting frying below.







And now for a song about what to do with low self esteem. My mom, never one to let us "believe in ourselves," forced me to listen to it as a child and I can only assume that it has had some influence on my poor grub-eating decisions today:

Nobody likes me everybody hates me
Guess I'll go eat worms!
Big fat juicy ones,
Eensie weensy squeensy ones,
Itsy bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms


Down goes the first one, down goes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm!
Up comes the first one, up comes the second one,
Itsy bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms


I bite off the heads, and suck out the juice,
And throw the skins away!
Nobody knows how fat I grow,
On worms three times a day!


Nobody likes me, everybody hates me,
Guess I'll go eat worms!
Big fat juicy ones,
Eensie weensy squeensy ones,
Itsy bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Laura said...