Monday, August 10, 2009

Second First Day of Teaching

I just finished creating seating charts for my elementary classes. A part of me relished the activity because I felt as though I was playing God.

The first day of this schoolyear was a lot more boring than last year's first day because I was much more relaxed. Here are a few highlights:

1. Watching mass confusion as we have two classes who are beginning middle school this year as we have just changed the system (both the sixth and seventh graders have never done the "switching classes" thing on their own before). All students were afraid and some looked like they were about to cry.

2. One of the new high school boys saying to me in complete seriousness, "I really just want to learn how to draw this year. I am not very good at it. Will you fix me?"

3. One of the new kindergarten girls telling me about her day after school, "I fell down and my box spilled all over the floor but guess what! My teacher didn't even yell at me!"

The view from my classroom window on an unusually sunny day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Will you fix me?" I love that! What'd you do, praise him since he admitted his brokenness?

Steve said...

Mmmm, playing God, fixing broken people. -better be careful.

Alice said...

I wont send you a foto of what we call a sunny day

Anonymous said...

Hehe... Mama said "foto".