Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Tale of Sadie the Dog and Espe the Cat


My 2 roommates and I just have made a move to a new home.

We already have a cat (reading the bible below)...and along with the new home we have inherited a dog...

and fish...
which we will keep until their owners get back a year from now.
When the cat first came, the dog would sit in her garden and the cat indoors and they would stare at one another. Usually in the morning, the dog would have some sort of conversation with her new companion.

Sadie the dog: (Woof woof) translation: Do allow me to present myself. My name is Sadie Block, do call me Sadie, it is simply a delight to have you here. And you are…?
Espe the cat: (silence)
Sadie the dog: (Woof wroof woof woof) translation: Very well, I shall allow you to preserve your anonymity. You know, there is something I have been dying to ask you…would there be a possibility of sniffing your rear in the near future? Do say yes!
Espe the cat: (silence)
Sadie the dog: (Woof ruff whine) translation: I find it quite rude that you won’t speak to me. Here I am, trying to carry on a decent conversation and you -
Me: (from upstairs window) -dumb dog! Be quiet and let me sleep in!
Sadie the dog: (Whiiinnee growl) translation: now look what you have done! One of the temporary masters is now upset with me!

As I speak basic Dog at best, I knew nothing of the broken understanding between the two animals. So when I had church friends over and the following conversation occurred, I made an uninformed decision:

Nadia: So do your cat and dog never play with each other?
Me: No.
Carlos: Why not?
Me: They still don’t know one another, I guess.
Josue: So why don’t we introduce them then?
Me: Hmm.
Christian: Yes, let’s introduce them!
Me: Well… Amanda and I were just saying that we should try and get them to become friends.
Josue: Then lets do it now!
Me: Sure, they have to become friends sometime. Just make sure the door is open so she can come back in if she gets uncomfortable.

So we put the cat outside. Sadie the dog jumped up immediately and ran towards Espe. Espe could have ran back in the house, she could have run upstairs even, but in her terror, she didn’t. Instead, she made three laps around the garden with Sadie running after her.
She finally hid behind a cactus.

Sadie the dog: (wroof grwoof) You finally made an effort towards our friendship! We are going to be the best of friends!
Espe the cat: (Merrooooww!!!) Over my dead body. Get away weirdo.

At the insult, poor Sadie, in unthinking fury, stuck her nose right into the cactus.
By this time, some of the guys had Sadie by the collar and Espe made her escape up all three flights of stairs to my room where I would find her later sleeping.

Sadie, however, had a cactus thorn in her snout. She did not even notice us removing it. Rather she was looking around the yard with eyes filled with lust for catblood.

That day, I learned a very valuable lesson: that friendship cannot be forced. The only other positive consequence of the blunder is that Sadie, having declared the “dog shun of silence” on Espe, no longer disturbs our sleep with one-sided conversations.

They now tolerate one another calmly, which considering the fights they have had, I believe is the most we can ever expect from either party.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Homer Simpson: "I'm going to breed our pets."(placing the dog and cat in a gunny sack with much ruckus going on inside)"It will produce offspring with the cleanliness of a dog and the loyalty of a cat."

Bleach said...

I soooo appreciate your sense of humor... and of course a situation like this would only occur in the presence of josue and cristian.

tsbjf said...

Funny story!!!