Thursday, February 19, 2009

Peruvian Culture Fact #2

My very first Sunday back in Peru, I was riding my bicycle to the school to complete some work there. Suddenly, a water balloon exploded right in front of my bike tire - it had just missed me. I looked for the culprit, but none could be found.

My friends explained to me that, as February is the hottest month of the year in Peru, it is also a month where it is acceptable for people to get each other wet and play water pranks on one another. It gets rougher in poorer districts where sewage water, paint, and worse are thrown on people. They call this “Carnival” though if it were up to me I would give it another name.

I will keep you informed if I actually do get hit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah... catcalls over "water" balloons any day! (You do have pretty eyes.)