Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Song of Peruvian

Dedicated to all who have lived as gringas in a Latino enviroment

Beloved Gringa

1 Do not stare at me because I am white,
O sons of Lima,
white like the wheat fields of Kansas,
like the hair of Tom Brokow.

Latino Lover

2 Que bonita you are, mi angelita!
Ay, que bella.

3 Your eyes are light.
Your hair is like a flock of llamas
descending from the Andes Mountains.

4 Your are like the statue of Liberty,
heads taller than anyone you pass on the street,
including me.

Beloved Gringa

5 I love it when you sit on the park bench, repeatedly wolf whistling at me,
Each day you are there
Because you are unemployed.

6 Your head is like a raven… if the raven is grey and unkempt;
How
I long to slide my fingers
through your oily mullet.

7 Your shirt, once white, tells of memories
Of searching through garbage cans
And of forgetting appropriate hygiene.

8 Your raspy whisper of “Ay que preciosa,” draws me to you
I ignore you, but you know
that I secretly long for your embrace.

9 ¿Cual es mi numero de telefono?” I will give it to you gladly
How I long for you to use it to find out where I live,
Do come… come and stalk me.

Latino Lover

10 I liken you, mi preciosa, to a blonde Hollywood actress
a flirty and ditzy Cameron Diaz or Kate Hudson
who is hungry for my love.

11 I pursue you with the few English words I have memorized
“Baby! Sexy! Hello!
¿Tienes novio?
How impossible it is that you can
resist me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHH!! Eden, this is wonderful! I am SO glad I was not in a public place when I was reading this. It brought tears to my eyes!

Steve said...

Tears?... Loneliness,longing, disgust, joy,What?

Bleach said...

you fill me with so much joy, miss page. this was brilliant -- i laughed aloud at my desk. I just want to give you a hug because you make me so happy :)

(((((hug)))))

Angi said...

Eden - I don't know how much you check FaceBook, but I wanted to let you know that Adam May passed away a few days ago. He was in a car accident last weekend.

Oh! And Heather is back in the states! Where are you? Hmmmm? ;-)

(By the way, your post made me snort. I haven't snorted in ages!)

Leta said...

Eden, this is amazing. :)

grace said...

i know that you don't know me...i'm a friend of leta's.

but i live in bolivia right now. and...i....wow.

thank you.

brilliant.

luaphacim said...

I make big LOL at this.

Laura said...

Dear Eden, you are amazing...can I steal this and put it on my blog?

tsbjf said...

Ohmigosh, this is too funny!!!!!