Thursday, May 09, 2013

Mere Christianity Illustrations "Charity"

"The rule for all of us is perfectly simple. Do not waste time bothering whether you 'love' your neighbor; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him. If you injure someone you dislike, you will find yourself disliking him more. If you do him a good turn, you will find yourself disliking him less.'
[...]



"Some writers use the word charity to describe not only Christian love between human beings, but also God's love for man and man's love for God. About the second of these two, people are often worried. They are told they ought to love God. They cannot find any such feeling in themselves. What are they to do? Do not sit trying to manufacture feelings. Ask yourself, 'If I were sure that I loved God, what would I do?' When you have found the answer, go and do it."

C.S. Lewis, "Charity"

3 comments:

DP said...

My favorite! I love the quote and picture.

Alice said...

Eden you are getting even better. is this your niche or will you resist having one.

Unknown said...

well, my painting professor always told me I should become a drawing major. maybe i should stop painting so much for a time.